With rays of sunlight shining down, “Three Little Birds” pangs through your headphones to the pleasant din of a steel drum. Suddenly that late car payment, passive aggressive coworker, and broken water heater become a tiny dot on the Earth below as you rise above.
“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.” – Bob Marley
We all feel like we know Bob Marley personally in some far off and eternal place. Perhaps on those emerald peaks of Mount Zion where timeless music makes its nest in the warming sun. Or perhaps it’s somewhere deeper, in our eternally optimistic selves? Either way, on this – his 70th Birthday – celebrate with us and drift into the 15 Things You Didn’t Know You Didn’t Know About Bob Marley.
Facts About Bob Marley Video
This is the legacy of a peacemaker, visionary, football player, and anti-materialist with a beaming smile.
1. Bob Marley was known to accurately read palms from the age of 4.
2. His last words to his son were: "Money can't buy life."
3. In 1976 he was shot in the right side of his chest and in the arm in a politically-fueled assassination attempt.
4. 2 days later, he performed through his wounds at "Smile Jamaica," a peace concert.
5. He drove a BMW, not because he wanted a fancy car, but because the BMW stood for Bob Marley and the Wailers.
6. He was known as "white boy" in Kingston. (His father was a Jamaican Caucasian of English descent.)
7. He only ever saw his dad once in his life.
8. Rita Marley, his wife, introduced him to Rastafarianism.
9. Bob spent two years in England in self-imposed exile, where he recorded "Exodus" and "Kaya."
10. He fathered five children with his wife Rita and seven other children with different women, for a total of 12 kids.
11. In 1977 he discovered malignant melanoma in his big toe from a football injury. (He refused to amputate it because it was against Rastafarianism.)
12. In 1978, during his One Love Peace Concert in Kingston, he called the leaders of the opposing Jamaican parties on stage to join hands.
13. That same year, the African delegation to the UN awarded him the International Peace Medal.
14. "Exodus" was named the greatest album of the 20th century by TIME magazine.
15. On May 11, 1981, Bob Marley died from his malignant melanoma, which spread from his toe to his brain, lungs, and stomach.
Bob Marley T-Shirts
Bob Marley Guitar Shirt – Shop Women’s One Love Marley Shirt – Shop
Women’s One Love Tank – Shop Bob Marley Soccer T-Shirt – Shop Pink One Love T-Shirt – Shop
Wear our Bob Marley t-shirts – yay! – but never forget the man, the legend, the Mount Zion Lion. Thank you for the music, philosophy, and peace you bring the world even to this day. With love from Shirts.com!
For the rest of our band t-shirts, shop here!